HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pass-through vs. internally expended energy?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I don't even know how many deer I have taken with my .308 and 150 grn corelochts, but it was a lot. I always aim for the crease behind the shoulder most of them went right down, the ones that didn't didn't go more than 25 yards or so and left a blood trail like an open fire hose. Except for one brisket shot and one head shot the behind the shoulder is where I aim. Believe it or not the brisket shot deer went right down and blew lung pieces out onto the ground, The bullet was found under the hide back at the hind quarters. That was the only bullet I fired into a deer that wasn't a pass through. The only other rifle I use or have for big game is a 45-70, I have taken 4 deer with it and use the same aim point. I use Hornady 325 grn Leverevolution rounds. Funny thing is they take a few steps before they go down with a totally destroyed boiler room. As others have said, I would rather a through and through than a round that stops inside. Both the rounds I use have the smoke to up end a deer.