HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:54 AM
BarnesX.308
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure allot of young 8 points, which would have potential to be real brutes, get shot every year because they are a "legal buck" even though they arent mature.... And every year some heavy and old illegal bucks walk because they don't meet the point requirement.
I'm sure you're right. Well, actually, I know you are right. The hope is that this is the exception and not the rule. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but protecting some young bucks is better than protecting none.

It sounds like the OP needs something in place to help his herd out. He's got a serious case of brown and down going on in his area and protecting just a few bucks would help him immensely. A few 3.5 year old Wisconsin bucks would make his hunting experience a lot better. Antler restrictions are the easiest thing to implement. Having guys judge age, and even spread, on the hoof would be pretty tough. Even though point restrictions aren't ideal, they do save some young bucks.

The best scenario is the legal buck that gets saved because the hunter didn't have time to count the points. Maybe the deer was moving, far away or in heavy brush. This frustrates the hunter, but puts a basket 8-pointer into an older age class. Now this buck is a 110 inch 2.5 year old. AND.....he's just a little bit harder to hunt. Making his journey to 3.5 years old a little more likely.