HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM
243shooter
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The question I asked every one who is critical of other hunters shooting bucks that don't meet their standards is, if those hunters are satisfied shooting a legal buck and don't care if it is someone else's idea of a trophy deer, why would you care how big the rack is? As far as the loss of hunter numbers, that is a nationwide occurrence, and many factors are responsible for it, not the least of which is there are many things for young people to do that do not require patience, getting cold and sitting still and the lack of instant gratification, so many have no interest unless someone takes the time to introduce them to it early in their life.
I smell what you're stepping in. Like I said, I don't get mad about it, and the only time it annoys me is when you get the guys in my area bragging about all the bucks they shoot. And you find out later that they shot a spike with their bow, a fork opening morning of gun season and then another spike to fill their wife's tag. Come on now. My three nicest bucks are in the 110 to 120 range and I've never seen one bigger than that,not while hunting anyway. I know not every hunter is just after big horns. But who wouldn't rather shoot a nice buck rather than doe or a spike? BTW the vast majority of bucks taken in Wisconsin are yearlings. I do think it would be better for the herd to have more mature bucks.