HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I am also from PA. I am not a bone hunter, I hunt deer, I will take the first large bodied buck that meets the antler restrictions or large doe that is unfortunate to come into gun range. That said, when antler restrictions and herd reduction were initiated in PA it was for the purpose of getting an older age class of bucks and reducing the doe numbers. 70 to 75 percent of our buck harvest was deer a year and a half old. We were killing most of our bucks before they were two and a half years old, coupled with the extreme number of does we had in the state was damaging habitat and our herd was way out of balance in age classifications. This was not done to create trophy buck but it did have that result because we now have a much older age structure of bucks in the state. Most of our state is a buck must have at least 3 points on at least one antler and the point must be an inch or more long, the rest of the state is a legal buck must have "three on top" that means it must have at least three points on at least one antler not counting the brow tine. We are now seeing lots of very large bodied and big racked buck everywhere in the state. Since I am not an antler hunter I was luke warm to the change but since I understood it was about herd health not about creating trophy deer I supported the program. There are those who don't like the fact that they cannot shoot the first 3 inch spike buck or 4 point they see and those who were so use to being over run with doe that it just was a matter of sitting down and waiting for one to come along that they still bad mouth the program but they cannot argue with the results, it did exactly what the biologists said it would do. Since I have no idea what herd and habitat conditions are in Wisconsin, I am in no position to recommend it in your state or not, I can just tell you why PA did it and what the results are because of it.