HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 44 Rem Mag
Thread: 44 Rem Mag
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 AM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Accuracy is going to be up to you. Killing power on whitetails is all in, just gotta get it on target. Will anchor elk as well, assuming appropriate bullet selection. 100-130yrds is the tip of the iceberg with the 44mag.

The trajectory of slow flying bullets with poor aerodynamics (BC's in the low 0.2's) is what makes the 44mag and its kin difficult to manage at moderate ranges. Getting much downrange past 150yrds with the 44mag puts a lot of air under your bullet.

It's difficult to make load recommendations, since not all firearms like the same loads, but I've had pretty good luck on the cheap end of factory ammo with Winchester White Box 240grn JSP's and PMC Bronze TCSP's. Hornady 240grn XTP's do well, as do the 225grn Leverevolution FTX's. For a reloader, a Hornady 240 XTP seated in the cannelure over top 23.5grn H110/W296 has shot well in every firearm I've ever tested with it (over a hundred of them).
Dead on with the H110/Win296!!!! I don't believe that I have loaded for a 44 yet including the 4 I have that don't like it at one point or another!!!! I currently load for 9 44Mags and 99% of them all are with H110/Win296 and either Horn XTP's or FlexTips.
I do load some with some hand cast 300grn for some hog smackers but not very many and those are loaded with 2400 or Lil Gun. When I start getting into the lead loads I lean towards the 2400, Blue Dot or Lil Gun to keep the leading down. And if I am going to be loading a bunch up for someone, I try to go gascheck just to stay on top of the leading issues with associated with them.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-28-2016 at 06:50 AM.