HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Busy morning prepping for youth pheasant hunt
Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Boca, they are either crop damage kills or illegally taken deer we get. Since our hunt is always in December there is no shortage of illegals or crop damage kills by that time. Most of the food bank deer come from hunters through the "hunter sharing the harvest programs". The PGC used to give a lot of roadkills to Prisons and orphanages etc because there were people available any time night or day which is handy in the summer when it is hot but the dept of health stopped that because the meat wasn't government inspected. Apparently venison wasn't good enough for prisoners. I know we used to save our prison a lot of money by giving them venison and the prisoners loved it. I could take a deer there in the middle of the night in the summer and they would wake up a couple of prisoners to take care of the deer and the thing is, they were really happy I brought it in. A lot of deer went to waste in the summer because I had no place to take deer before they went bad.