HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plot mixes
Thread: Food Plot mixes
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

My standard mix for Fall planting of one acre (three small plots that total about an acre) is 50 lbs. wheat, 50 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. ladino clover and 3 lbs. chicory. That's a bit on the heavy side according to some. But I'm using the "no till" method and so going heavy is a bit of germination insurance. Sometimes I add about 25 lbs of black oil sunflower seed knowing the sunflower will be wiped out before they get six inches tall. But they are a good early draw to the plot.

I'm in S.E. Louisiana planting into sandy loam. I generally plant in mid-October so as to have a good plot for our mid-November season opener. I try to time the planting to a rain event. This year was a bit tough because of no rain in October. I ended up planting into dry ground on October 26 and didn't get any rain until November 7th. But we've been getting some rain every week since the 7th. and the plots are looking pretty good right now.

The deer generally wipe out any sunflower early, eat the wheat and oats throughout the winter, nibble the chicory a bit during the winter and wipe it out by early spring, and feast on the clover until it goes dormant in mid to late summer (depending on rainfall). Then I start all over again the next October.

This is my second year going the "no till" route and I'm pleased with the results so far. See the link below for my first year results.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wild...30-2016-a.html

Last edited by Semisane; 12-06-2016 at 08:26 PM.