HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boo-Boo Finds Two!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default Boo-Boo Finds Two!

About 2 months ago my 7 year old tracking dachshund , Ellie Mae, suffered the dreaded back issues that many long back, short legged dogs do. She was 100% down in the rear. I opted for surgery simply because of my attachment to this dog. I decided to give her a chance to recover, which she has to a great degree though her tracking days are probably over. Vet says we'll know in 6 months or so.

So .... time for my "new" tracker to take over. He is a 2 year, standard wirehair dachshund I named Boudin. He was put to the test this past week for the first time ever. I had trained him as I usually have done and he did fine on these training blood trails. These were his first field trailing jobs. Very wet conditions but not raining. First track was ragged and what should have taken him 2 minutes took more like 15, but he settled down on the blood trail after some guidance from me and found the deer dead in a pine thicket. His second was as good as it could have been ..... got right on the blood quickly, never checked up as he tracked except to smell some blood smeared on the side of a sapling. He never veered off the blood as far as I could tell and found my buddy's doe dead in a super thick over grown clear cut. I am thrilled to have another tracker and as you can tell, proud of Boo Boo ! Hoping Ellie can join him next season.