HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please help me with my Ruger American .308
Old 12-04-2016, 11:23 AM
sconnyhunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
a 3" group fits the standard for Ruger firearms.....you're up the proverbial river.....
Not at all, I shoot a M77 MKII, 7mm Rem Mag. It's consistantly at or under 1" at 100 yards. As was my 308 and 30-06, both M77's.
The problem with them was that they just didn't fit quite right.

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
1. You may have already tried this, but have you not only tightened your action screws but also tried shooting the gun after attempting different pressures on the screws? It is hard to measure that with a torque wrench so just noting the position of the screws' angles when tightened can tell you if you've gone further or shorter than the last time you tightened them. Overtightening on some synthetic stocks, especially if done often and inconsistently, can "crush/pinch" the material enough to cause issues .. and its very hard to determine ... hence the reason pillar bedding is valuable. I don't know enough about the Ruger's Patent-pending Power Bedding®, integral bedding block system to speak about what it can and can't do.

1a. Scope, mounts, rings, and the contact points between them all. Repetitive I know, but this is so often a source of accuracy headaches.

2. Most folks like the idea of free floated barrels (which I believe the RAR is advertised to be) but I have a couple rifles that have benefited from a little upward pressure between the top of the end of the barrel channel and the underside of the barrel. I suspect that my 2 rifles that like this are not 100% bedded correctly, and they are NOT pillar bedded either. The upward pressure is probably a stop gap measure for their inadequacies and I could maybe get them shooting better with a lot of effort and cost, but they are doing just fine with a small piece of aluminum scrap glued underneath the barrel.

3. I'm not familiar with whether the RAR is bedded with glass, pillar bedded in addition to the bedding block (redundant?), or otherwise has any accuracy points in its favor, but, as others have said, contacting Ruger is your best first step. Might save you a bunch of ammo and grief. Couldn't hurt. They've always been extremely helpful and fair to me.

4. Lastly, ask a buddy of known shooting skill to try a few groups of some of the ammo and see if he/she fares any better. Not trying to question your abilities, but some rifles fit certain people and some just don't!

Good luck. I look forward to hearing back from you here as you follow up on this issue.
Color added to highlite why I sold two of my rifles. The new owner of my '06 (very dear friend from school) hits anything he shoots at. It shot fine for me, but just didn't fit right. I stayed with the M77 model and a different caliber, that fits to a T.
I shoot Remington Corelokt through it and it is far more accurate than I am. When I squeeze the trigger the target is hit. Where I aimed.