HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery time and temp impact on meat
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM
ktughill
Spike

Default Recovery time and temp impact on meat

Hello! I have a question and seeking input. I posted back in the middle of November that I had shot my buck on evening watch and could not retrieve it till the next morning due to lack of blood trail. I got up early before sunrise to find my buck which I did. The low temp was 44 that night ( know that as husband is weather observer). It was a heart shot. After I gutted the deer which their was no smell at all , transported back to the house and took a shower head and off to local processing place. I did rinse the inside of the buck when I got back to the house. When they took my order they insisted that my deer was going to be smelly because I did not gut it out immediately along with the fact the time it was going to take them to get the deer in the cooler. They put some note on my order which I think it had something to say that the deer was not gutted till the morning. They called me today to pick up my deer and I question why the price was so low and it was because the deer was smelly that they threw the meat out except for the lions and shoulders. I would think that I would have noticed smell when gutting the deer??? I am having a hard time believing that the deer meat spoiled so quickly? Is that possible? Also, I think the shop should have called me to inform me instead of just throwing my meat out or is that not a realistic expectation? I am planning to speak to the owner so I want to be prepared. Feedback please...