HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
do you know the 6.5 creed is a 22-250 savage necked up to .264?
Originally Posted by zrexpilot
not true the creed is based on the .30 tc case...
Originally Posted by jeepkid
What is the .30 TC case based on?
Zrex - Ridgerunner is not wrong. There's more than one road which leads to Rome.

22-250 Remington lineage:
250-3000 Savage --> 22-250 Remington

6.5 Creedmoor Lineage:
250-3000 Savage --> 300 Savage --> 30 TC --> 6.5 Creedmoor

So not surprisingly, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easily formed by necking up and fire forming its "great uncle" - the 22-250 Rem.

By and large, I enjoy the 6.5 C for what it is - a cheap to shoot, low recoil, high BC, moderate velocity, long-range TARGET capable cartridge. I think it's PERFECT for those guys who want to bang 3-4MOA steel at 1,000yrds then hunt deer at 600yrds and feel good about long range shooting.

Those guys who really kill game at ELR realize its shortcomings.

Regardless of what I might personally believe about the PRS/6.5/tactical trend, I'm tickled pink to see so many new folks buying new rifles and learning marksmanship principles. While Admiral Yamamoto never actually said it, I strongly believe in the principle General MacArthur's historian Gordon Prange conveyed in his fictional quote, "[Japan] cannot invade the Mainland United States. There would be a rifle hiding behind every blade of grass," which was a principle shared by President Theodore Roosevelt back in 1901 when he signed the NBPRP, under which in 1903 the DCM established the CMP, and the same principle which lead to the formation of the NRA in 1871 to develop a common national foundation of marksmanship, still a driving principle of the NRA Training Division. And of course, a principle shared by the Founding Fathers in drafting the Bill of Rights. Any reason an American citizen learns fundamental marksmanship skills is a good reason.