HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 35 Whelen for Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 05:06 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Did some reading on that flags, and it sounds like a great cartridge. Do you handload for it or is ammo somewhat available stateside?
-Jake
You can get factory ammo but you'll have to order it, you won't find it on the shelves. Mine really likes the Seller & Belloit factory round with a 286 gr bullet. I also handload a bunch for it and mine groups really well with both Noslers and Woodleighs.

This caliber, while not known real well in America has a huge following in Europe and is one of the best all around calibers in Africa giving the 375 H&H a run for its money. The reason it isn't as well known is simply because it is German and in the heyday of African safari hunting the British controlled those areas so British calibers like the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and the big doubles got all the press. The 9.3x62 was the rifle the local hunters used and they racked up a huge amount of game.

My wife bought me on for Christmas about 12 years ago and it has become one of my favorite rifles. I rarely use my 375 &H anymore and I even leave my 7mm Mag in the rack a lot and grab the 9.3. It is one of those rounds that doesn't cause a lot of excessive damage or bloodshot in the meat. It just punches big holes and you can eat clear up to the bullet hole.

This doe fell to the 9.3 2 weeks ago here in TX.

If you're looking for a thumper, check out the 9.3x62.