HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 Magnum Rifle
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 PM
sconnyhunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I need some more details then. If the .243 is unmanageable for her, most any .44mag rifle will be as well. MOST, not all, the .44mag rifles are in a lever action configuration and are fairly light so there will be around the same recoil, maybe even a bit more, than a .243 bolt action in average weight configuration. I don't know if you reload or not, but if you do, then the .44mag has a pretty nice range of manageability. Light load a 200 grain HP XTP and gradually work her up in powder to a full power load. Then you can bring the bullet weight up to maybe a 225gr FTX, lighten the powder a grain or 3, and work her up again. But again I will state this, stock fit is of UTMOST importance! She probably can't handle your .243's because they are not built for her! If LOP is too long and she is stretching out to reach the trigger and line up the sites, then the felt recoil will be almost DOUBLE in perception.
She's 9 right now, so its not going to be of use for a couple years yet anyway. I'm looking for something I MIGHT get now. To have for her when she's big enough to handle it.
She really likes shooting right now, and I want to keep it that way. Not scare her off.....which is why she doesn't shoot MY deer rifle.
I may stick to the 243, and get the 44 for myself.
I just don't want her and her sister to fight about who is shooting who's gun.
That's part of why i want a different caliber, that isn't so close to the 243 that one of them might confuse it for the other before reading the stamp on the end of the casing.