HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady Great Plains Conical
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega218er
Hi all

Have an issue. Shooting a .54 TC Renegade using pyrodex (70 grains) and Hornady Great Plains Conicals. They shoot fine but on the 3 different occasions I have shot them after about 6 shots the Renegade starts hang firing and I cannot seem to stop it from happening. I swab every other shot with isopropyl alcohol and a couple dry patches and also use a nipple pick. I am doing the same things each shot. It happened again over the weekend and ironically when it started again I switched to PRB with no hang fires.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Mark
Mark,

My best guess is that because the Hornady conicals are prelubed with a heavy wax based lube, some of that lube is collecting in the flame channel between shots when you push your rod down the bore to wipe between shots and causing your problem. Swabbing the bore with alcohol doesn't hurt, but it probably doesn't help either when it comes to that type of lube. Try soaking the conicals in some water hot enough to strip that waxy lube off, then re-lube them with something not so wax based. You could also try a "hot shot" style nipple to ensure that your getting maximum ignition.

I would change the nipple first and see if that makes a difference...

BPS