HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you feel safe in the woods on firearms opening day?
Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I simply stay away from any public land on opening day of fire arm deer season here in Michigan. I have seen the parking lots full and cars and trucks parked in the ditch of a 40 acre plot first hand. At my UP deer camp I have see 9 other hunters in 14 years and I don't ever remember one being seen opening day. I wear all camo except my state required hat. Same thing hunting at home in the lower I stay on my private property fully posted every 5 feet with 4 types of signs. Always spend the day in my raised blinds so am not at ground level.
Recent killings here during deer season have been a father had loaded his model 94 Winchester Racked one in the chamber and let his thumb slip off the hammer while the rifle was pointing at his son. Another was a guy in a valley and saw movement up the hill, was squirrel hunting not deer hunting killed a kid playing in his fort with other neighbor kids. Thought the kid was a squirrel. Another a wife hubby and brother were road hunting illegal in Michigan, sister was swinging the rifle around in the back seat to shoot out a different window and shot brother thru the seat.

One of our neighbor ladies about killed one of her kids. Loaded a win 94 in the kitchen and the rifle pointing at the ceiling and let her thumb slip also and shot thru the ceiling just missing a couple kids in the bed up stairs.
Those were just from last year.

Al