HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you feel safe in the woods on firearms opening day?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Well, you sound like a former hunter

I've hunted over the eastern U.S. Went through the opening day in PA's one million hunter day. Saw a big shoot-up in New York state, not too far from NYC. Saw no one else in a 3000 acre. opening day deer hunt, in a southern state, on public land.
Many times I avoided hunters by going deep. Too many hunters go shallow. Saw some six hunters ready to enter the woods. Took the vehicle up the road about a mile and crossed to the other side of the road. The original location was going to be too crowded. Saw no one else the rest o the day.
Think it's gotten a little crazier. Lot of hunters are using tree stands, in close within a few hundred yards from a trail or road. Too many hunters get lost easily and set the stands, one upon the other. Lack of exercise and the overweight status of many, isn't helping. Crowded areas, mean closer and unwarranted shots.
And if you get lost easily, you aren't helping you hunting
Saw a hunter approach me in deep on an opening day. He was lost, moving opposite direction from his vehicle. That's how he found me. I was in deep and was he lost. Pays usually to be in deep, away from hunters.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-11-2016 at 07:31 AM.