HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - a few new guys
Thread: a few new guys
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 06:36 AM
BarnesX.308
Nontypical Buck

I like the 1st one the best. He is beautiful. A typical non-typical. Best of both worlds.

I have seen are bucks improve by leaps and bounds after two things. State-wide antler restrictions and us putting in food plots. For the last 10 years, we have two fields planted. One is usually clover and the big one is usually turnips and radishes. We have also had it planted in winter peas. The deer have always gotten plenty of corn from locals' backyard feeders.

I think the antler restrictions did two things. It obviously added more old bucks everywhere in the state, but it also saved bucks with different genetics, allowing them to come and spread those genes on our property.

20+ years ago, most of our deer were average 8-pointers. G4 tines were very rare. Split tines and non-typical points were even more rare. Now we have all of that in every year's crop of bucks.

We also have a ton of cover. 2000 acres of overgrown clear cut as well as thick laurels, blueberries, swamps and cliff edge. Bucks always got old, but now more bucks get old and varied genetics are coming into play.