HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Baiting Remote Northwoods deer
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM
One Trick Pony
Spike

Default Baiting Remote Northwoods deer

Hi folks - I've shot plenty of nice deer in my time but always while still hunting and from self climbing tree stands. Now getting too old for the tree stand and I have a young grandson who wants to shoot his first deer.

I've set up two ground blinds on great looking spots. Should mention, I hunt very remote dense forest cover in NW Ontario where I rarely if ever see another hunter. That is the good news. The not so good news is that while our deer are huge, they're very low density.

I've never baited for deer before so need some help. I started baiting the two sites with bailed alfalfa that I pack in. Plus I have set up a couple of mock scrapes/licking branches. But so far, I've yet to see a deer on the trail cams after two weeks of baiting.

The weather has been warm for our neck of the woods and I suspect the deer haven't been moving much. Plus, their natural food sources are probably only now starting to dry up.

Is it too early to pull the plug on these two great looking spots. How long before deer in a very low density area find new food sources. I am thinking / hoping that with the pre-rut approaching and with colder weather coming the deer will start moving more and eventually find and lock into my bait.

Is this overly wishful thinking or not?

Appreciate your comments.