HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to tell if I hit a deer with a BOW
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 03:18 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well first off, and this is MY opinion and well, a common rule of hunting
head shots are NOT the norm, due to the possible error , and its a smaller kill zone, yes when they work they work, but its NOT the area MOST HUNTERS target
I HIGHLY suggest you DON"T use that as a place to aim for with a bow, cannot tell you how many deer with arrows sticking out of there heads I have seen over the yrs on local Tv news shows and such, just makes us hunters look BAD!

Next, if you limit your shots to GOOD CLEAR shots at reasonable ranges, 99% of the time if your paying attention as you should, you can see the arrow HIT the deer, its HOW MOST archery hunters tell if they made a good hit or NOT
illuminated Nocks help a LOT if you ask me,
I have killed a LOT of deer with archery , and cannot recall a single time I didn;t see the impact, split second only, but enough to tell me if I hit or NOT
next will be paying VERY good attention to where the deer is standing BEFORE the shot and AT the shot, then you can recover you arrow WAY better/faster and look at it for sigh of a hit/miss,where you hit it(based on color of blood and particles on arrow shaft, guts, meat fat color of hair and so on)

I like white feathers on my arrows too, helps me keep track of them better as they fly!

BUt most guys I think watch the deer and arrow hit it

then recover arrow for sign and track from sight of being HIT to deer
the place MOST guys all aim for (guns too by the way) is behind the front shoulder, its a larger area of vitals and most likely to result in fast ethical kill
heart lugs/liver area!