HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about a mutt dog
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 05:38 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

A couple of techniques that have worked out for me, are using different leashes for different jobs and training them to circle back when they are off the leash.

I put the long line on my Terrier and his nose goes right to the ground and he knows what is expected of him. I put him on the short leash and he stays tight on my left side. I set him to flushing and he is in his element. Terriers are independent minded, a trait of the breed, much like Huskys.

Hard to tell what is likely to be dominant. Many times Mutts are the best dogs, the down side is their strengths might not breed true like pure breeds. But for a one off hunting buddy, they can actually be superior if you play to their strengths.

Just a thought, but I'd discourage her from running larger game, Deer or Hogs. If her Husky genes are dominant she may take off some day for hours or maybe forever. Females are often easier to train IMO, less of a dominance thing and more team player.

I had a male Husky that was part of a Hog/Coyote pack I kept for years. He was always tail end Charlie, but would fight an Elephant if need be. His long fur protected him from Coyote bites. Sometimes he didn't want to come back again and I'd have to send another dog to go round him up. Seems wandering is in their blood. I talked to other Husky owners and all said their dog was prone to wander.

German Short hairs can be amazing, Birds are in there blood. One of my daughters had one, He pointed and flushed with very little training and retrieving was easy to train. He had amazing stamina and could run forever at or near full speed 35-40 MPH. I was walking him in a city park, he pulled the leash out of my hands, dove into a bush, came out with a flapping male Pheasant in his mouth and brought it to me. I looked around to see if anybody was watching, dispatched the Pheasant and took it home for dinner.

Check his teeth and compare them to other Bird Dogs, this might give you an idea of what to expect. If he has Husky teeth he may tear up some game. Their bites are designed for crushing and tearing. They have really strong jaws/bites. Teaching her to not chew up game might present some issues for you.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-13-2016 at 07:27 AM.