HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black MZ vs. BH209
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

I'm VERY impressed with BMZ powder & that's NOT an easy task for smoke pole powder as I've been a Savage smokeless owner & lover for over 12yrs. Earlier this summer I drug out my 25+ yr old Knight Wolverine thinking my 16yr old son would be using it this fall. (I've since gotten him a Savage smokeless I got a deal on) I researched the newer powders & BMZ was the one I chose. BH209 wasn't safely recommended in the Wolverines plunger type action. (I used 90grns over a Barnes 250 Expander MZ fired by T7 209s)

I was truly impressed with the ease that BMZ cleaned up with only using patches sprayed with Windex Vinegar. After I was done shooting I shot some brake cleaner on a patch & down the bore but it wasn't needed, the patch came out spotless. I didn't tear down the rifle, I just swabbed it with the Win-Vin patches. After 2wks I tore the rifle down to inspect it & found it spotless. ANY powder that performs properly, cleans up without tearing the rifle down & is easily & reasonably obtained, what's not to like about it?

I suppose were I shooting a magnum inline, enclosed breech gun like a Encore, Impact, Optima etc... sure I'd use max charges of BH209. But for the rest of the front stuffers (including side locks, plunger actions, BP handguns etc...) it's nice to have a modern substitute that is essentially non-corrosive & doesn't require complete tear down to properly clean such arms after use. IMHO that makes BMZ very attractive!