HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bedding area question
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 07:01 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

They usually have a few places they prefer to bed in, when one gets blown they move on to the other, I always thought when the bugs, biting flies and ticks, get too bad in one spot they move on for awhile. They also seem to like different spots in different seasons. Cooler spots in the summer and places with morning sun in the cooler months, fall and spring. Places out of the wind in the winter.

Two schools of thought on this, one is to use the same trail (into the wind) every time, so you don't spook them completely out of the area. The other is to give them days, typically three for me, so they get comfortable again.

I personally rarely get any closer than two hundred yards to a bedding area if at all possible. I want to know roughly where they are going to be headed come sun up. I ambush hunt. I set up where they are likely to be feeding in the evening and a hundred-two hundred yards from where they sleep in the morning. A lot easier to hunt them if they have a routine.

I usually give a high seat a three day break and move onto another spot. I give them plenty of time to get back into their routine. I don't want to spook them completely out of the area.

If you intensively hunt an area it is likely they will move on or get so nervous you can't get anywhere close to them.

Just opinion as there seems to be no really good answer IMO.