HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Control Question
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 AM
TBsportsman
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
There is unfortunately only one way to beat the nose of a whitetail and that is having the wind blow your sent somewhere else. If you want to consistently encounter mature whitetail you have to learn how to make the wind in your favor but also allow the deer think the wind is in their favor.

Everybody will tell you hunt the wind but mature deer don't make a habit of just walking around in the daylight with the wind at their back so you have to be creative.
Just to add on to this because I don't want to be disagreeable. I personally believe deer go where they want to (at least regarding feeding) regardless of the wind direction, but they might hook around and scent check a vulnerable area first. You just need to be downwind of where they hook around.

I think there could be some benefit to some scent control measures, but a lot of it is a waste of time and money. Hunting the right wind is critical. Keep in mind, that regardless of your scent control measures, you will leave ground scent, so if you hunt the same spot repeatedly, it won't take them long to figure it out. Don't walk in over a path you expect deer to cross, or upwind of where they are bedded or feeding at night.