HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - which bullet for whitetail
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
i've killed about 20 deer and dozens of wild hogs using the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet. Ditto for the 250 grain SST. The 300 grain .452 XTP magnum bullet will kill anything in the USA. The 225 grain .429 XPB is a really good bullet too.

This 384 pound hog was killed with the reviled by some 250 grain SST bullet. Bullet was found under the skin on the off side. Hog was 19" through the shoulders.

Pick a bullet your gun likes, put it in the right place and relax.
I don't think it's "reviled" that much Falcon. It's just SOME of us have experienced "blow up" on shoulders from the SST's from both MLer bullets as well as centerfire. You and most everyone else on this board know I am a HUGE Hornady fan and use their bullets almost exclusively so to be fair, the times I experienced "blow up" on the shoulder was from close range shots. Both ML and CF. At the speeds I load in my TC, I have to have a fairly tough bullet. That barrel wont group worth diddly unless it's a hot load. But out past around 40 yards, I wouldn't be afraid to use that bugger on any game animal on this continent. Problem is, most all my hog ML shots are under 20 yards Granted, that's a good "problem" to have unless you have a bullet that doesn't hold together well at high velocity impact.