HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eye dominance madness
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I've been interested in eye dominance for about 18yrs. It's a brain issue, not an eye issue. Glasses don't change the way your brain is wired.

I hadn't ever thought to try that, so I actually just tested this 1 eye magnifier theory to see if it would work. I have a couple monocle leups for carving and engraving, putting it in my right eye didn't help bring my focus to that eye when looking left (where I'm left eye dominant) through a right hand shouldered rifle scope. It's not so different than looking through a scope - I adjusted my diopter to bring the scope into focus, just as it was without the Leup. After 20min wearing the leup, no change. My left eye was still my primary focus when I shouldered the rifle.

Reflex to move your head to make bifocals work is a different thing. You don't intentionally squint to see better, you just squint. You don't intentionally dilate or constrict your pupils to see better, it just happens. Even when your eyes are perfectly focused, your brain decides which eye is the dominant image signal and which one is used for supplementation.

Here's how eye dominance works, and why changing magnification won't change how it works: Think about taking two pictures with the same camera of the same objects, from 2 different positions - First picture in a fixed position, then the next picture after sliding the camera over to one side about 3ft. Both pictures are in focus. Your job is now to cut apart one picture and tape it to the other to make a single picture with a larger field of view. You as the photo editor have to pick one photo to cut and one to leave alone. THAT DECISION is eye dominance. Your brain picks which photo gets cut, and which one is the primary. Even if one is a little out of focus, or a little zoomed in, your brain will still pick ONE picture as the primary, and the other picture is only used to fill in the field and enhance detail and depth.

So putting a magnifier in front of one eye is like taking one picture with the zoom at 2x and one with the zoom at 1x. If you, as the photo editing "brain," decide you're going to use the first picture as the primary, then THAT will be the rule every time. If you pick the picture taken from the left over the right, then THAT will be the rule every time. Your brain will fight to superimpose the images of different scales - so now you as the photo editor picked your 2x zoomed photo as the primary, and have to take your other picture zoom it to scale, and THEN tape it together... But which photo you as the editor - aka, the brain - chooses as the primary stays the same.

A fun one for you - there are glasses out there which invert up and down. Wear a pair for about a day continuously and your brain will actually flip the image so when you wake up, the world will appear right side up again. When you take them off, it takes about an hour to un-do that re-wiring in your brain. So even though it temporarily adapted to the new lenses, things go back to "normal" in your brain really fast, and they won't re-wire any faster next time if you put the glasses back on. It's not something which happens in seconds - it takes a long time.

And again - I've never personally considered it a problem - I consider it an advantage. Don't even honestly notice I do anything, whether I blink or slightly squint to change which eye is leading the show. I shoot with both eyes open, but I do have to blink - when shooting right handed to swap from the field to the sights. Doesn't take any longer than the eye movement you make when changing your focus from the downfield game to your nearfield scope or sights. Looking for a solution is kinda making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 09-09-2016 at 10:14 AM.