HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time eating squirrel experience
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 AM
toytruck
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
A friends recipe for bacon wrapped squirrel

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon

Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Brothers wife's recipe

Squirrel Legs
Olive Oil
Soy Sauce
Bacon as per your Need
Flour
Bread Crumbs
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Black Pepper

Directions

1. Take Squirrel Legs as per your requirement. Mix Soy Sauce, Olive Oil and Squirrel Legs and put it in a Zip Lock bag. Put the bag into the refrigerator for about 20 hours.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon out of it and leave the Fat part in Skillet.
3. Remove and drain the legs.
4. In a large bowl, combine some flour and bread crumbs. Season to taste with the garlic and onion powders, paprika, chipotle and black peppers.
5. Add a little oil to the bacon fat if necessary and heat them. Dredge the legs in the flour mixture and add to the hot oil. Turn to brown on all sides. Once they become brown, remove them and drain on paper towels.
6. Place the legs on a rack placed in a shallow baking dish. Add a cup or so of water to the pan. Place the bacon strips on top of the legs and cover with foil.
7. Bake at 250 – 275 degrees until tender, at least 3 -4 hours. Depends how many you are cooking and how long you can hold off eating them

My own bacon wrapped bakes squirrel.

Amount of squirrel per family needs, For just wife and I, 4 works.

4 whole dressed squirrels soaked in salt water for 6 hours, removed from that and placed in a marinate od liquid smoke minced garlic and minced onion for 24 hours.

Remove from marinate salt and pepper.

wrap each squirrels with enough bacon to make a nice warm blanket for them.
Place on a raised baking rack above a cookie sheet.
Bake for 3 hours at 250F.

When grilling squirrel to get a good smoky flavor soak your favorite wood chips in water till completely soaked. Place on a sheet of alum foil (or buy a wood chip grilling box) fold the foil into a nice packet and put some slits on the top side only. Lay packet slit side up on the coals or burners of the grill close lid.

Smoke box for grill.

Al
Thanks! I like yours the best since you use the whole squirrel..
The best meat (to me) is the back along the backbone (squirrel tenderloins) lol