HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stalk Hunting on Leafy Ground
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM
StuartHunts
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The way you walk is as important as what you have on your feet. If you want to be quiet you can't wear thick waffle stomping lugged rubber soles. I have sets of homemade vellies and deer hide (hair on) over shoes to dampen the crisp crinkle of leaves and twigs. Animals feet are quiet because they move with the ground and tend to have hair around the edges. They also have small footprints so they affect less area - stepping between more than they step on. I'll wear my vellies while walking in, then strap on the insulated lug boots when I get into the stand too. When you're walking, you're warmer than sitting static, so you really don't need as much boot anyway. A good pair of running shoes will be quieter than a big insulated rubber sole boot.

My preseason prep also involves cutting a highway system with the brush hog, raked clear, to let me move quickly and quietly. I cut it late enough each year to give some grass regrowth, but not so late the deer aren't used to it. It doesn't get me everywhere I want to go, but it gets me a long ways. Plus, a side effect is the deer will use the trails too, so it gives me a bit of control over their movements and where to expect them. Not always an option, but always a good one when it is.

This is absolutely fantastic advice, thank you!