HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dead Ringer Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

100% agreed Rock. Like you mentioned on another post, it seems companies are trying to reinvent the wheel here. I have used everything from hand knapped flint heads (you would be absolutely amazed and surprised at the results I got with them) all the way to the most advanced and super duper mechanical broadheads made. 2 blade to 4 blade, bevel edged and conical tipped to straight and pointed to "bone crusher" tips. One thing always takes first thoughts, that is penetration. And simple physics deems, the more cutting surface you have, the less penetration you will get. You have to find the happy medium between cutting surface and dimension vs. penetration. Absolutely NO ONE is perfect and you will definitely find yourself, over the years of archery, presented with a quartering away shot from an elevated stand. Contact with a rib bone, no matter how heavy or fast your arrow is, can and often will turn your arrow direction a little to a lot. That can direct it towards dead center shoulder or dead center sternum on exit. If you have one of these expandable heads, your chances are much greater of no exit because not only of the larger cutting surface, but also the energy expended for opening.

Through many many years and a whole hell of a lot of big game animals, I have found that a standard 3 or 4 blade 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 with razor sharp edges as well as cut on contact or a very sharply pointed bone crusher type tip is about the best compromise between cutting surface and penetration.

I fell into the mechanical craze for a few years because of the field point accuracy of the heads. After 3 deer that I wouldn't have found if it wasn't for a VERY good tracking dog because of poor penetration (pass through failure with arrow plugging wound dang near eliminating any blood flow) I gave up on them and went back to my standard fixed blades.