HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dead Ringer Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 05:59 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
I like the Thunderheads more now that they changed the blade locking system. Was never a fan of the old style or any heads where the blades retention is based upon how tightly your arrow is screwed onto the arrow.

1-1/8" is about average cutting diameter, but I would like to see or know more about the penetration you mentioned.

Again, I simply picked up a pack of the Dead Ringers to test for the group and will be interested to see how they preform. Will let you know more after some real world results.
The penetration I mentioned came from the outdoor life test you posted didn't it?

I can tell you a lot about those broadheads just by looking at them. They will leave huge holes but struggle to penetrate bone. That is what happens when you stray from a basic broadhead design. If you get through they will work great but they are giving you overkill on your cut and will under perform with penetration. Why is this a big deal? Because if you are shooting from elevation you will all to often end up with a single hole high on the deers body and the blood will fill the chest cavity instead of leaking out on the ground.

Here is what real test results will show.

On a shot straight through the ribs they will work great seeming like some new revelation in broadhead technology(blood everywhere) then somewhere down the line you will hit the far shoulder and see the shortcomings of this type of design when the over sized blades fail to punch through that shoulder you will be grid searching for a deer you hit in the vitals.