HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me choose a folding knife
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I use my folder daily and for numerous things not just hunting.

Had Buck 110 for years, hard steel holds a good edge, the point is a little wrong for gutting, you have to be really careful. I've snapped the tip off of numerous 110's. The hinge wears and the blade loosens up.

Puma holds an edge well, blade is a little too hard (brittle) for my taste. Same problem as the Buck, the tip tends to dig in when you slit the hide to get at the guts.

Changed to Gerber (gator) which in my opinion is a better knife, the blade is thinker and takes abuse better. Drop point works better for gutting. The material they make the grip with can be attacked and softened with exposure to the wrong chemicals, Some Gerbers are a little thick. I prefer a partial serrated blade, not easy but you can split the pelvis on a deer with the serrations.

Best all around knife I've ever had Junglee Foreign Legion. I've had two now, lost one. Drop point, has a thicker blade much like the standard Gerber (Gator). Blade is a good compromise between hardness, holding an edge and soft enough not to break or chip easily. I dress mine weekly with a steel, sharpen it every couple of months and use it daily for everything from opening packaging to dressing game.

The down side is finding one, they discontinued it for awhile. Then somebody was producing a clone (they called it the Smith and Wesson SWAT) that was inferior, bad hinge bushings. I have no idea if this link is valid or not, I kind of doubt it. http://www.deepakc.com/index.php/jun...continued.html

If I could find one of the originals (with the pocket clip) I'd pay double the purchase price for another, just in case. Don't let the shiny handle put you off, it makes finding the knife a lot easier when you lay it down in the grass, especially in the dark.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-25-2016 at 08:11 PM.