HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dead Ringer Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Too much cutting surface.
If it hampers penetration enough that you do not get an exit wound consistently, I 100% agree. On the flip side, I don't need so much penetration that the arrow goes through the deer and sticks 15" deep into the tree beyond. This additional penetration could have been used to push greater cutting surface. Obviously, they first have to be accurate so you can hit the vitals or what is the point.

The action of the blades swinging open will take up energy to accomplish. How much is debated, but IMHO it is there.

I was curious, so I tried to find the cutting surface of your beloved Thunderhead razors, but could not. I only found this test completed by outdoor life about 1 year ago:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...adheads-tested

When you get a spare minute, measure the cutting surface length on one of the blades of your Thunderheads (Hypotenuse of the blade). I am curious to see how the total cutting surface of the Thunderhead compares.

Dead Ringer makes a smaller head called the Rampage, but thought I would give these a try. As you have said previously, the Thunderheads work for you. I am curious to see how these will work and whether or not I will get the exit holes consistently.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 08-25-2016 at 12:31 PM.