HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - field point accuracy broadheads
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
Are any of you concerned about BH's you practice with losing some edge to be considered still huntable? I'm with you on having to practice shooting every BH you intend to hunt with. I use Shuttle T's currently and they fly straight, but I still practice with every one in my quiver.

I have never sharpened a BH and haven't worried too much about it in the past, but I wonder if anybody else does.
According to the medium you are shooting into (target) as some targets don't dull your blades much for a couple shots. I have black hole targets and as long as I don't shoot into them more than twice they only very slightly dull my blades. Still plenty sharp for hunting. I just leather strop them and it brings them back to hair splitting scary sharpness.

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The way I do it, and it may not be correct but it has worked for me.... I use one broadhead out of my package as my practice head. I suppose there could be some variation between each broadhead.... I haven't thought too much about it... But I typically buy 6 at a time, and use one as practice head, the rest in my quiver for hunting. That way I'm shooting deer with a brand new head...
-Jake
That's fine Jake, as long as you spin test all the broadheads to check for imperfections, they should all be close enough in tolerance to fly equal to each other. Same lot and all. With my extreme bows I test them all then strop them as previously mentioned. With speeds over 310fps ANY small detail can cause a drastic change in POI so my OCD kicks into high gear when using them.