HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain
Old 08-12-2016, 06:40 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by entropy4money
I was SO SCARED of this before the first time I shot my gun, I spent hours the day before watching youtube videos and fitting my scope, making sure I had the perfect amount of eye relief .

After firing the first round, .270 win 130gr. I realized the internet just made me completely paranoid and there was no real danger... Recoil on this gun it really isn't bad. I mean... I've been shooting this gun on a bench, placing the butt on the wrong place, and all I got was a slight pain.
Just for fun hold your rifle straight ahead and get your proper eye relief, then without moving your feet swing the rifle first to the right, then to the *left*. The closer you swing the rifle towards your left shoulder the closer the scope is to your eyebrow.

http://www.m14.ca/FM/FM23-8-ALTERNATE-VERSION.pdf

Read this starting on chapter 3. The way I learned and it has worked for me for fifty some years.

Your right thumb should curl over the comb and touch your cheek. Where our thumb touches your cheek should remain the same every shot. Consistency is the main factor in accuracy.

The easiest way to make good habits is shooting prone using sandbags, the steadiest platform (as long as you keep your heals down). Once you get the proper sight picture ingrained in your brain, you can move on to other positions.

Shooting tables/platforms have to be really steady or you are wasting your time.