HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain
Old 08-12-2016, 05:12 AM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

Entropy, next time that you are in a Wally World store, check out their Limbsaver recoil pads. The medium size would be my guess for the Winchester 70 that you have, they just slip over the end of the stock, you can remove it anytime. These things work wonders, they absorb recoil so it is hardly noticed. They do make the stock an inch or two longer so you are further away from the scope. I have one that I use on whatever I am shooting, they cost appx. $25 and work great.

I am sure that it has already been said, but it is important in the recoil department. Keep a little pressure on the stock, gently pushing it into the shoulder pocket. Recoil shy folks will sometimes try to keep the butt of the stock away from the shoulder a little because it is causing them pain. This will really get them whacked when they fire off a round because the gun gets a run at the shoulder. Keep it snug in the shoulder pocket and you will feel a lot less recoil.