HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mountain lions in pa
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 07:46 AM
bearklr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mountain lions in pa

This topic could go on for ages. It is devided down the middle. Those that have seen and believe and those that haven' t and don' t. Everyone talks about shooting one and, why don' t we see one with all of the hunters. This one isn' t that hard to explain. There aren' t that many in the state, and they are alot better at seeing you and running then you are at seeing them. Also, as far as killing livestock, how many farmers are qualified enough to look at a carcass and say " well that was definately a lion" . No, they say those damn coyotes. Think of it this way, 1% of all those that hunt bear actually harvest one. That isn' t too high. Now try to imagine someone shooting an animal they aren' t looking for, with a much smaller population, and is FAR more elusive. Heck even in the most heavily lion populated areas of the country they need dogs to find and tree the cats. Both sides of this argument have good points, and I don' t know which side I would have been on had I not seen one with my own eyes. I guess it is going to take someone to kill one to prove their existance. But then we will get the same replies, It was someones pet, it had to be. I was also wondering what the fine would be for shooting a lion. You know they aren' t going to let you get off scott free on that one. I am pretty sure that any large animal that doesn' t have regulations in the pgc handbook are protected? Who knows, only time will tell.