HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Family members disapproving of reloading?
Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Back when I first expressed the desire to start handloading in high school and put reloading equipment on my Christmas list, my parents put a stop to it. My younger sister was especially vocal about it. Once I graduated and saved up a lot of money from graduation presents, I started planning on ordering a kit. Since I was and still am a college student living at home, I have to play by my parents' rules. Fortunately, my dad no longer cared, and my mom decided I could do whatever I wanted with my money as long as I was careful. But my sister, man she was pissed. She kept telling me I was certain to blow up my gun and asked me "What's more important to you: some better accuracy or your life?" Whenever I tried to explain the benefits and refute her statements, she got angry with me and didn't want to hear another word of it.

Of course, she has no authority over me, so I bought the kit against her protests. I have over 1000 rounds under my belt, and best of all, no blown up guns. She hasn't said another word against handloading.

I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard any similar ridiculous things about handloading from your family or relatives.
It's funny how those with the least experience with something usually has the LOUDEST objections to it! From what I am gathering, your parents just didn't want you "blowing" money on it (man I am getting GOOD at this pun thing aint I) but your sister's objections sounds more like uneducated hysteria than advise to be followed. While yes, reloading can be dangerous if not done properly, to anyone with an ounce of common sense and a firm grasp at reading and following instructions, it is safer than walking out to your mailbox! Me personally, I trust my reloads a hell of a lot more than factory loads. Especially in today's world of non existent quality control!