HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why does everyone look down on PA?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Actually Rock, Pa has some damn fine farmland and dirt in a LOT of areas. The main reasons behind the generally smaller body size of the past was poor conservation practices leading to horrible habitat to population numbers. Not to mention the "if it's brown it's down" mentality and the lazy stump "hunters" <--(note the quotations) and basically just plain old stupidity abounding among the hunting community. While OT and I often argue about the aggressiveness of the deer reduction program in several areas I hunted up in Northern Pa, the overall state population of deer were really helped and seem MUCH healthier now. Larger bodies, bigger racks, just over all good looking deer are coming back. They have always had good quality, high nutrition browse, just not enough to feed the out of control population.
Yeah I don't know anything about dirt in PA....I just know good dirt is very important. Definitely a lot more factors for sure.

You have to have good dirt to make it possible(natural or man made) but good dirt doesn't mean your going to have big deer no matter what.