HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CWD in your state ?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I've understood for a long time what Oldtimr stated and usually we agree right up and down the line on almost everything discussed on this site. I agree that ungulate propagation should never have started on these "farms" and it's unfortunate that politics now enters into this discussion more than science and many states allow them and more Legislatures are now looking at allowing it based on property owner rights and appeals to them, rather than allowing the G&F biologists to do their job. We see time after time where money talks and what is best for the whole doesn't necessarily rule. I can understand the mutation thesis of CWD and that it is something to think about, but IMHO there are a lot more things to worry about in life than dying from a mutation of CWD seeing as how it has been shown how to avoid CWD prions by not handling the brain and spinal cord of an animal that is susceptible to the disease. I hunt in Wyoming every year where CWD has been found in the wild for many years and don't give it a second thought. It's also now been found here in MI in both captive cervids, as well as wild deer. I'll be careful, but I'm certainly not going to curtail hunting anywhere because of CWD since hunting is my passion and if I die because of that passion I will have gone down doing what I love to do!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-30-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling