HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Grendel Nosler Accubond on Hogs
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Double Naught Spy
Fork Horn

The Hornady SST and Berger VLD-Hunting will both do a lot of meat damage, particularly the Berger. Here is summary video I did for the Bergers. I like these for hogs in general, like the SST, but as I mentioned in the video, if you are meat hunter, you may not like them at all.

The Berger VLD-Hunting tended to be a very deep penetrating and massively destructive round. It is frangible and is supposed to shed 40-90% of its weight and in the Grendel, that shedding of pieces comes in the form of lots of tissue damage, but not at the expense of penetration.

My opinion of the Grendel cartridge? Back in 2013, I had abdominal surgery and was told by the doctor that I needed to lay off the heavier recoiling .308 for a while and I wanted more than .223 for hogs, so I went with the Grendel (and Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo). To be honest, I could not tell any sort of change in performance. Either you make the right shot, or you don't. I would say the majority of my hogs are 80-150 yards with some closer to 45 and some in the 150-250 yard range. I think it works fine compared to the .308 and I like the reduced recoil compared to the .308. Most of the hogs I kill are 250 lbs and less and while I get a fair number over 200 (~20% this year), I say that most are in the 100-200 lb range (~70%). A few are less than 100 lbs (~10%).

Folks on the Grendel forum are shooting deer and such out to 400-600 yards with good success. I don't even have dope worked out and I haven't practiced beyond 300 simply because there isn't any place where I hunt that either let's me see that far, or if I can see that far, that I can't approach more closely. So if you are looking for long range insights for the Grendel, I am not the person.