HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginner hunter
Thread: Beginner hunter
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

welcome AJ.... If you haven't already then you need to sign up for a hunter safety course. While in the course try to do some networking there. Talk with instructors and other classmates and maybe you can find someone who can show you the ropes... The safety course will cover allot of useful information for a new hunter. The Ohio and PA courses cover things from firearms safety, to how to take care of your animals after you've killed them, to proper etiquette and how to communicate with landowners and other hunters. Allot of information that you can put to good use. To find one I suggest just using google and searching for a hunter safety course in your state.

As for meeting other hunters. One route is to join a local fish and game club. These range from cheap to very expensive. My local club is only $100 a year. They have monthly meetings, picnics, get togethers, and also host hunts in the fall for pheasants, rabbits, squirrel, etc. I've never been a member but I know people who are and it has been a big help to them.

The other option is to learn yourself. After taking your safety course, get your license and head out to some public land. Squirrel hunting is a great way to start. Everything you learn squirrel hunting translates over to larger game such as deer. To hunt squirrel get your firearm of choice, go find a nice spot to sit in the woods and wait quietly. Pretty soon you'll start to see them. Learn as you go. Time in the woods is important. You can read and talk to people all day. But you'll learn the most by getting into the woods and spending time there.

Feel free to ask questions anytime!
-Jake