HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut thoughts....
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

When you have overlapping seasons for different species that is what you get. I can remember when PA had spring turkey season, then small game season in which you could not take a turkey, then turkey season which did overlap a bit with small game season, then a 3 day bear season, then archery deer season, then firearms deer season, then after Christmas Flintlock deer season and late archery season which ran concurrently. Everything was pretty much separated. Now we have spring turkey then early grouse and squirrel, then small game season which overlaps with archery, then special doe season, then early muzzleloader season, then bear season which is much longer and goes into deer season in some places, then the two week deer firearms season then extended doe season in some counties, then late grouse and squirrel season then the flintlock muzzleloader and late archery season and late rabbit season starts after Christmas. It is getting so seasons overlap so much that hunters are tripping over each other hunting different species. I did this from memory so I probably missed something. Oh yeah, I forgot about the elk season, however short it is. Yet hunters are still belly aching they want more hunting opportunity. I will give you one example. One day in small game season a few of us had planned to meet at a spot that had been stocked with pheasants, it was public land but not hunted hard for pheasants. I arrived before my friends, it was still dark. I left my dog out to do his business, put him back in his crate and waited fro my two friends. After a while I saw headlights and a car pulled into the parking lot, then another and another etc. Until there were about 12 vehicles in the lot. I got out to talk to the hunters and found there were archers, early muzzleloader hunters, some senior and Jr hunters with center fire rifles for deer as well. It seems we had forgotten that this particular Saturday was the opening of the Jr, Sr, handicapped, and active military special doe season, as well as the opening day for the early muzzleloader season and archery season was also in but we knew that and few people hunted archery at this spot. Needless to say, I was not going to turn my dog loose in that mahem, I called my friends on the cell and told them we needed a plan B. We met at another spot and had a good hunt but this is the kind of goat rope having a lot of different species open at the same time. As for me, I liked it better the old way when a season was for one thing and I think that the Game Commission trying to satisfy everyone has lessened the hunting experience for a lot of hunters. Yeah yeah, I know there will be those who disagree, probably a lot but having seen both, I prefer the way it was.