HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The viability of a 375 H&H for deer hunting
Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

A whole lot of Germans use something very similar a 9X57 220-240 grn., 2200-2400 fps.

They hunt everything from Roe Deer, Wild Boar, to Red Deer with it here. They normally use a round nosed bullet.

Most of the old timers swear by it, especially for Wild Boar. They say the larger diameter bullet hole in the game is less likely to stop bleeding in a Boar if you make a poor shot and it takes off for the hills. In other words it leaves a better blood trail.

No law against selling Wild meat here, they try to mess up as little as possible and still get the job done.

You hit a major bone with a large bullet, or even a higher velocity smaller bullet and bad things can happen. Sometimes it is just luck.

I've shot Roe Deer with my Remington, 35 Remington, 200 grain FTX bullets at around 2200 fps and haven't seriously torn one up yet. But only a few times, so it isn't really a good sampling. No fancy shooting, just below center and behind the shoulder, basic heart lung shot. It is basically a Hog gun for close in work for me. Though a whole lot of Deer have been harvested with this caliber over the decades.