HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The viability of a 375 H&H for deer hunting
Old 07-14-2016, 03:08 PM
TN Lone Wolf
Typical Buck

Default The viability of a 375 H&H for deer hunting

Several years ago, my grandfather gave me one of his rifles that he hadn't shot in decades: a 375 H&H chambered Sako AIV with a quick detaching 1.25-4x power Schmidt & Bender scope. The thing is a beautiful work of art that he used exactly once in his life on a hunting trip to Africa. As an added bonus, he gave me a few dozen boxes of old Winchester cartridges.

Unfortunately, that was when I began to use handguns almost exclusively, so I haven't hunted with the 375 much at all. However, I have done a bit of handloading for it. Since I already have access to full power ammunition that is sighted in with the scope at 100 yards, I decided to make some reduced recoil loads to use with the open sights. The load it likes best is a 220 grain Hornady flat point Interlock bullet behind 45.3 grains of A5744, which gave me a velocity of 2381 fps. I've had bullet holes touching each other at 50 yards at exactly the point of aim. True, that's not as significantly reduced recoil as I originally wanted, but compared to a 270 grain bullet at ~2550 fps it's an improvement.

My primary interest in using this rifle for deer hunting is because I've heard the big, heavy, tough bullets fired by this round tend to damage less meat. I'm quite aware of how much meat gets damaged when one of us hits a deer with a high velocity ballistic tip bullet. Do you think the 375 will cause significantly less meat damage with either load?

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 07-17-2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Typo