HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you say ?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have a serious question. Why when a member asks for help choosing between two calibers in a rifle to buy, do people start throwing out other calibers? The fact that the guy has it narrowed down to two calibers says he gave it some thought before he asked the question and all the other calibers do no more than cause confusion.
It's the nature of the beast for people to do that. If you recall, the same member just had a 3 page thread that started with him asking for what he should get between a 44 mag and a .243 with the fact that he's in Indiana and has some limitations on what he can use. He now has changed it to the .308 and .243 and of those two I would also go with the .308 that is legal there since it's more versatile. However, I'll digress just a little bit like others and say if he want's to go the .30 caliber route that the 30-06 has just a tad better ballistics along with better options for going up in bullet weight over the .308 and is also legal there. If he has any thoughts of going out where he will be after elk and moose sized game, I'd go with it whether he reloads or just goes with factory ammo because it's probably the easiest centerfire ammo to find anywhere.