HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2016, 08:25 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Fox and Yotes, the dumb ones are the first to go. Then things can get really interesting. We got a mandate from the county to thin out the Fox as much as possible because they were carrying some super nasty parasite.

The darned (surviving) Fox would hear my exhaust tone from a mile away and head for the hills. Then I got really sneaky until they caught onto that. I finally had to switch areas and let things settle down some.

I don't worry much about scent, I always figure whatever I try is unlikely to help much. My dog once popped up from a sound sleep and went to point in the back seat of my Jeep, a Fox at four hundred yards. I always figure Yotes and Fox can scent nearly as well as my hound can. I do wash myself with unscented soap and I'm careful not to use scented or whiter and brighter laundry detergent on my hunting clothes. I hang my hunting clothes outside.

I learned something about reflected light in the military. It may look OK to you, but may actually glow for wildlife. We had optics that let you see farther into the IR and UV light spectrum and you could see what some of the animals see. It stuck with me into the way I think while hunting. Camouflage doesn't mean much if it glows in the dark. I think it is more the motion that spooks them and the reflective clothing (they see) makes it easier for them to see the motion.

I've had some success with Nuoc Mam as a cover scent. I use it sometimes in places with a swirling wind. The trick is to spread some around a week or two before you hunt that spot. Nuoc Mam smells like a Tijuana brothel, really nasty stuff. I've had no trouble finding it in a small town in the middle of Germany, should be common in most any oriental mom and pop store. If you do try Nuoc Mam treat it like toxic waste, I spilled some in the back of my Jeep, stank for months. Side note, I saw the biggest Buck I'd seen in decades sniffing a bush I had sprinkled with Nuoc Mam. I don't know if it was curiosity or it reminded him of a brothel also.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-03-2016 at 08:30 AM.