HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Accidents
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

This was not a true hunting accident as it happened in my garage. It could however happen out hunting.

My ATV was on 4 jack stands. I wanted to move it over about a foot and thought i could just lift it a little in the rear and topple over the jack stands. It would be over a foot and off the stands. I grabbed the trailer hitch with my left hand and lifted with my legs. You could find yourself doing something like this if your ATV got stuck and you wanted to get the tires out of the ruts.

I heard a cracking/crackling sound as immense pain flooded my left bicep area. One look and I knew something was wrong. Like bad wrong. My arm was deformed and I thought I surely had broken it.

I knew this wasn't something that could be dealt with by retreating into the house for some ice and ibuprofen. I jumped in the truck and drove to the hospital. The doc quickly told me I had tore my distal bicep tendon off. He had no doubt. Gave me a quick x-ray to make sure bones were all good (they were). Home about 2 weeks on pain killers and lots of ice waiting for trauma to settle down. Visit to orthopedic surgeon and surgery 2 days later.

The pain for days after surgery was the most intense of it all. I've now been in cast for 12 days and go tomorrow for check on progress. They'll take cast off, clean me up and recast.

This is going to take a long time to heal and although I may regain all of my "curl" strength" I could lose up to 50% of my twisting strength.

I had lifted ATV before by myself but a floor jack or a helper could have avoided this.

A few days after the initial incident the elbow area of my arm turned black with bruising. I will also have a nice scar across my inner arm at elbow now. Maybe get pics tomorrow and update.

This is a link to the surgery procedure.