HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Merino Long Underwear Comparison: Kuiu Falls Short
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

When I read this, I can't help but wonder - where in the sam he11 are you wearing wool long underwear in June?

I've dabbled in a few Kuiu products, not their merino wool stuff yet, however. I got a deal on a Chinook jacket, for what it is, it's about $75 too expensive - I would not have bought it if I didn't get it nearly free. Great jacket, but I've paid $75-100 for comparable micro-check fleece jackets without the camo outer coating, so the $200 MSRP is really the only downside.

I have the Guide Jacket and pants, as well as the Kenai jacket and pants. Both lines are on par or better quality than the Under Armour line, and the Guide has proven to be warmer than the UA Ridge Reaper line. Comparably, I have less expense into my Kuiu insulation + outer layer system than I have into the Sitka parka and bibs.

The Guide Series material is very similar to those black North Face jackets everyone has been wearing for several years. Incredible wind breaking, good water proofing, and very warm, yet light and breathable for active hunting. Comparably, I paid $150 for my Guide Jacket, whereas I paid the same for my wife's North Face jacket, and paid MORE for a similar Columbia jacket.

So while I can't speak for their wool base layer, I can say I'm very pleased with the Kenai, Guide, and Chinook products from Kuiu.

I'll second, also, that Merino wool isn't just plain ol' wool. I'm probably the most fabric-finicky hillbilly around, can't stand itchy fabrics, so wool and I just don't mix. I'm often in poly pro, or even cotton base layers, but when things get really cold, or if I need to be mobile THEN sit still, it's Merino wool. I have a few Icebreaker sets, but most often wear Specialized merino base layers (cycling) - can't say I have a good reason though, just like the Specialized stuff.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 06-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.