HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 05:48 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jayatnight
I agree with Mudd.. All my coyotes seem lankier than western pictures... But here in North Ga.. they tend to hunt solo.. while the pack sits back in the woods waiting for word to come running.. Many times I will shoot one then the rest of the pack scatter thru out the woods.. even if I sat and called for 30 mins with that one studying the situations.. the rest were at least 100 yrds farther back.. and I have seen this happen a few times..
Maybe some of the differences is North and South. In hotter climates they tend to be lankier and have less fur? Seems logical, the ones built to deal with the heat do better. While the generally milder climates farther North they can afford a little more fat and fur? Likely different hunting strategies, due to the availability and types of game.

I know one thing for a fact Desert Yotes and those in the coastal mountains and northern California sure look different. In fact on opposite sides of the valley I lived in they looked different. One side was forest and the other side chaparral (high brush).

Likely what makes then so successful is they are adaptable.

I've noticed the same thing with Hogs, some are braver (more foolish) than others. The ones that live to an old age are the wary ones. The adolescents tend to take more chances, cut more corners and are often the first to die.

I've hunted Yotes using ambush tactics after scouting their territory extensively. I've used calls, which only seemed to work at night for my Yotes and was mostly a shotgun type hunting. I had a pack of Yote dogs for years, which was the most successful way to hunt them. Well fed and conditioned Dogs can outlast a Yote, Yotes may be quicker in the short term, but eventually run out of gas.

My most successful call was first a few Hawk calls then a wounded Rabbit call, which screams to a Yote there is a free meal here. I've listened to others calling, IMO they tend to overdo it. A distressed Rabbit call in nature is usually over with in way less than minute, often less than 30 seconds. The Yotes hear the Rabbit screaming, come running to the general area and then follow their nose. If there are any Yotes around they will usually come in to check it out. The thing about a Yotes nose is; my general rule is when they get closer than 400 yards they likely know you are around. A lot of luck involved if you get one to come closer than that.

A lot of animals key on their rivals, a lot of Bird action and a Fox will come it to check out and see what is so interesting to the Birds. The Birds spook and the Yote or Fox takes off for safer territory. The reason I use a Hawk call then a wounded Rabbit call, the Yote or Fox has likely been there done that and stolen a meal from anther predator, If a Hawk calls it is often to it's mate saying supper here. Just something you may want to try out.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-17-2016 at 06:19 AM.