HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I usually don't go out Yote hunting, most times it is for a specific pack or individual. They often do get into a routine.

I have the best luck switching up my tactics.

Out west it is often water, which can be a tiny seep. Water is often scarce.

The border between two packs territory, there is often what I call the poop wars, I mean piles of the stuff in one spot.

Find a seep, make a brush pile nearby, throw Corn into the brush pile. Mice and Rabbits will show up. Yotes will show up. In fact after they have caught some meals there, they will return again and again.

When the farmers mow the fields for silage, those mowers kill a lot of Mice. Yotes will show up. The can smell that smorgasbord from a long way off.

Later in the Summer, early Fall the younguns are out hunting with the adults. The young ones make more mistakes.

Dens are used for generations. Maybe not every year, but many years. And there is often a second den close by to move too when the first choice gets flea infested. You get a feel after awhile where the dens are likely to be. Most often someplace with good drainage, reasonably dry.

I often just sit in a good spot with a wide view and just study the terrain. Most times you can pick out the likely paths, the places they visit often. I've had poor luck trying to out sneak them, but have out thought them. They tend to use the farm roads in the early morning and avoid the tall dew covered grass. Not a rule just tendency.

I've set up a ground blind right out in the open, near a frequently used farm or forestry road and had them walk very near. I spot the tracks after a rain, tracks coming and going are a tip off they use this way often.

Out West many of the Yotes seem to have longer legs, same with the Bobcats, they have to cover more territory.

National geographic survey topo maps often show any signs of water and show the tiny seeps. You have to look close, but they are often there. The topo maps often show seeps that are dry most of the year.