HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which one ?
Thread: Which one ?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 04:23 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Between myself and my kids there has been well over 100 deer and probably 300-400 hogs killed with a few .243's. loaded with 95 grain SST's or 100 grain Interlocks. My youngest daughter has taken whitetail in PA out to 350 yards with DRT performance. The only time I ever had a problem was with the SST's blowing up on on the shoulder on a very close range shot (around 20 yards) but I had that same problem with my 7mm-08 as well.

With the .243 I try to teach one of 2 shot locations, tucked in just behind the shoulder quartering away or dead broad side high shoulder. Both of those shots tend to drop a whitetail instantly or very close to it.

With the .44mag rifle, I already told you the range limitations but within those range limits, it is a deadly beast with the proper bullets. Those Marlin 1894's make great brush guns as they are quick handling in heavily wooded areas. But since you hunt areas where you will have those ranges longer than the .44mags capabilities then I would have to give the nod to the .243. I myself would say BOTH!! But I always try to promote multiple rifle sales